University of Indonesia was established on October 20, 1954 in Bandung, inaugurated by Minister of Education and Teaching Mr. Muhammad Yamin. Originally named the University of Teacher Education (Perguruan Tinggi Pendidikan Guru/PTPG), was established with the historical background of the growth of the nation, who realize that the effort to educate and educate the nation an important part in the independence. Some reasons for the establishment of PTPG among others: First, after Indonesia achieved its independence, the Indonesian nation is highly need of education. Second, the need for qualified teachers prepared and university level to improve the quality of education that will blaze the realization of a prosperous society.
The main building of UPI originated from a villa named Villa Isola. Villa Isola is building the legacy of the period before World War II. (At the time of the struggle against the invaders, the building was once used as the headquarters of the freedom fighters). The building was rebuilt and later transformed into a building named Bumi Siliwangi magnificent with the original architectural style.